Confession: Milestones

/
4 Comments
Back when I was a baby agent, there was always a new milestone to hit: my first client, my first sale, my first foreign sale, my first middle grade sale, my first adult sale, etc. You get the idea.

Selling a book felt like the most amazing feat. I would celebrate--and I still do. But after being in the business a while, you know that selling a book is only the first step of the battle. There's so much more that goes into this job.

As a result, the milestones become less about the sale and more about things down the line. Only every once in a while, you're reminded what it felt like when you first started.

Case in point.

When New Adult first exploded onto the scene I was really excited about it, and I wanted to see the age group expand into many genres. A really fabulous writer based in the UK named Laura Salters asked me a few questions on twitter and we talked NA.

Then she queried me with a New Adult Mystery she described as Harlan Coban meets John Green. I loved that idea so I requested. And it was amazing. The novel needed some revision, but it was the kind of book that I couldn't stop thinking about long after I'd finished. I loved it. (Jess Dallow who was one of my first reads on it, loved it too).

We sent Laura some notes, she revised and I signed her. We revised again and then went on submission. It ended up becoming a bit less NA and a bit more mystery with crossover potential, but we liked it that way.

I sold it to an editor at HarperCollins in my first ever mystery sale. I couldn't have done it without such a talented author and such an amazing book.

I'm happy to say that today is the release of that novel, Run Away. Here's to many more. (Hopefully they'll be just as amazing and pageturning as this one).




You may also like

4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

There's a reason why you never forget your FIRST love. It may not be the greatest, or the love of your life, but it was the first.
Congratulations on yours, this and all the firsts.

Lori L. Clark said...

I remember you quoting that NA wasn't even a genre when it first appeared on the scene. So, the excitement came after that quote I guess.

Lori L. Clark said...

I remember you quoting that NA wasn't even a genre when it first appeared on the scene. So, the excitement came after that quote I guess.

Suzie Townsend said...

You're right. I totally said it wasn't a thing. Only then it was. And when Cora Carmack queried me and I fell in love with Losing It, I gladly admitted on Twitter that I had changed my mind. There were certainly lots of people championing NA before me and I'm really glad that they helped make it a thing. I'm a big fan.