Ask Me Anything: How Literal was I...

Okay, here's the question:
I remember Suzie always states that she keeps reading a manuscript if the first line catches her, then the second, the third, and so on. I don't know if I should take this literally, but if you come across a line that needs work, do you stop there even if you were interested in what was before? Are you willing to forgive that single line (or lines) and keep going?
This is a good question. I do say this a lot. I wasn't the first agent to say it. I heard it from a wiser more experienced agent on a panel back when I was a baby agent.

So here are my thoughts.

You do have to take that a point. For the first 25-50 pages or more until I'm hooked, each line really has to grab and hold onto me.

Once I'm hooked, I can overlook things and keep reading.

Now, here's the thing. When you mention a "line that needs work" though, it makes me think we might be talking about different things.

When I mention that the first line catches me, I'm not talking mechanics. I'm talking voice and storytelling.

Have you seen this?

I started reading that manuscript on a Sunday afternoon. I could not stop. Even though the manuscript turned out to be 168k words. It had some issues. I gave some notes. There was probably a typo or two. But the voice and the storytelling had me by the end of the first chapter. There was no way I was going to stop reading.

You may also like

No comments: