Contest Winners

/
4 Comments
Wow, this contest was a success! And also a really tough one to judge. You guys are all super talented and some of you are also super creepy. Just FYI.

Anyway, winners!

Honorable Mentions

Most Interesting Narrator
R.Lynn @ 1:47 PM

Best Slush Pile Depiction
Margo Owen @ 3:06 PM

Most Terrible Pet Owner
The Will to Write @ 7:11 PM

Best Last Line
Night Writer @ 8:17 PM

Best New Adult
Double Java @ 8:37 PM and Kate Michael @ 7:20 PM

Most Romantic Moment
BethF @ 4:38 PM

Best Opening Line
Alyssa Carlier @ 10:03 PM

Worst Father
Megan Hitch @ 10:55 PM


Runners Up --there are a few

Most Original/Best Style
Ashland @ 10:40 PM

Best/(Worst?) Use of Tea
Richard Strugis @ 11:28 AM
(I sort of want this story as a novel!)

Best Opening Image
Kat Waclawik @ 8:29 PM

Best Voice and Worst Reminder of Dating in New York
Jay @ 2:53 PM


And the winner of the contest is

Carol @ 1:58 PM

Mama used to call them “shivery days.” Days on the cusp of spring, when it seemed I could count every new leaf on a tree because there were so few.

That winter, Mama had a scan. There was a lump ... and no hope. I said I wouldn’t make it without her. She fought that harder than the cancer. Live! she demanded.

Death was swifter than the season’s change. By March, she was gone.

Mama had hung the moon. Had made all the shivery days golden.

I’d best keep my promise to her though: Let winter go, shivering. And live.



I love the voice here--and the writing and the images. I love it all. 

So Carol, please email me your address so I can send you your books! And let's discuss your critique.


You may also like

4 comments:

Richard Sturgis said...

Congrats to the winner! Smashing job!

Thanks for the shout-out on my piece :) When I started, I wasn't sure where it was going to go, but after a bit, it found a place.

These contests can be the entire writing process experience in a small package.

Kat Waclawik said...

Thank you for the runner-up nod! I'm thrilled! :)

Congrats on the win, Carol! Your story was beautiful.

J. Lenni Dorner said...

Congratulations to the winners!

Alyssa Carlier said...

Thanks so much for the honorable mention!

Congrats, Carol! I love your entry, it perfectly captures a child's voice.