Can You Handle the Truth? AKA The (annual?) Query Contest

/
22 Comments
It's August, I'm back from vacation, and I think the end of 2013 is going to be even better than the beginning. 

So my question to you is: Can you handle the truth?

Many writers want to know what an agent is really thinking when they pass on a query, right? You want the truth...but can you handle it? Well next week I will respond to the queries I receive in complete honesty. I will either request your manuscript or I will pass and tell you exactly why.

No form responses.

Now, this isn't a critique, it's just an honest response, but if you've been getting a lot of form rejections, this might tell you why. (hopefully it'll be helpful?)

You may see something as simple as "Not bad, but just not for me." or "I don't represent legal thrillers." or "Mermaids creep me out." OR you may see something like "I stopped reading when you mentioned that the mailman was a vampire space zombie who has come to deliver a message of PAIN. Because come on...seriously?"

So, if you want the truth, query me for the next week (so right now until 10 am EST on Friday 8/30). Read on for the rules.

Rules:
  • Queries must be submitted to Query(at)newleafliterary(dot)com. 
  • All queries entered must have this in the subject line: QUERY SUZIE - I can handle the truth
  • If it does not have this in the subject line, it will be considered a regular query only.
  • Queries must be in the body of the email. NO attachments!
  • Queries should include the first 5-10 pages of your manuscript in the body of your email below your query. 
  • You will receive our usual auto-response. If you do not receive an auto-response, resend!
  • One query per writer please. (Don't think you can trick me with different email addresses either)
I will respond to all queries entered in the contest by Tuesday (9/3/2013) at 5pm EST.


Further Guidelines:
  • Yes, if you've already been rejected by me (or someone else at New Leaf) you may resubmit your query. I will read (if submitted in the correct time frame) and let you know why it's been rejected. Don't say "You already rejected me..." Treat it like you've never queried her before.
  • Your queries will NOT be posted on this or any other blog. I will reply to you via your e-mail, only. 
  • You must treat this as an actual query process, which means you need to have a complete manuscript. If I do request your manuscript, I don't want to find out there isn't one!
Okay, ready go!




You may also like

22 comments:

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

This is totally awesome of you, thanks!

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

Oh wow, I'm blown away by this opportunity. Thank you!

pczajak said...

This is a great idea, I wish I could submit but I only do picture books.

KayC said...

I've got a hide like a rhinoceros, and I love the truth - good, bad or ugly. BUT, I don't have a finished manuscript.

If this goes well for you, I'd love it if this was something you did once or twice a year.

Amy Pine said...

Suzie, you are so awesome for doing this. Thank you!

Massimo Marino said...

Great opportunity, thanks.

BPatterson said...

I wish I wrote a genre you represented! I've about come to the conclusion my query letter blows chunks, and I don't know why.

Giora said...

Thanks for this wonderful opportunity.

Alexia Chantel said...

I can see the spittle flying from Jack Nicholson's enraged face.

Sounds like fun! :) And like a lot of work, this is awesome of you to offer!

Teagan Marie said...

Ah, excellent. I was hoping this would come around again.

Deniz Bevan said...

Looking forward to this!

brandimziegler said...

Very generous! Thanks, Suzie!!

Rochelle said...

Wishing my manuscript was in submission condition (that is a strange rhyme) so I could participate! Hope you do this again sometime!

William Landrum said...

Will this still be considered a "real" rejection, blocking me from resubmitting based on your feedback? I know my QL still needs work, and this is a great opportunity, but maybe not if it blocks me "forever".

Angleterre71 said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is extremely generous of you.

Theresa Milstein said...

Wow, thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

Laura Rueckert said...

What a great opportunity! Thanks so much for doing this.

brimersniche said...

Can't wait to hear the truth! This is exciting thank you.

Stephanie Cain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie Cain said...

Argh! I just saw this today, and just sent the email...and then re-read the blog post and saw that you were only accepting until 10 am. So sorry! I really do know how to follow directions. I just obviously don't read closely enough. >.<

Joseph Sidari said...

Oops. I thought the deadline was 10PM, not 10AM. Sorry. Well I hope you like my query anyway. I would be most appreciative of any feedback, if possible. Thanks.

Kate said...

Well. I feel dumb. I found this about a week ago, and only paid attention to the month and day . . . not year. So, I'm a *little* late. Yeah . . .