50 Queries in...only hundreds more to go...

/
7 Comments
Some minor updates for anyone waiting for their response to their I Can Handle the Truth query submission.

I'm 50 queries in. It's slow going, but I'm still planning to have responses to you by Tuesday end of day.

In the mean time, when you get a reply, here are some things you should know:

  • If I requested please send me your MS. I'll be sad if you don't.
  • I apologize if my responses are harsh. They aren't intended to be, but they are truth which means sometimes they might come across that way. Don't take it personally or get discouraged. If you don't feel like you can use my comments as a critique, don't worry, I am just one opinion.
  • Remember the responses are honest and not form but some will be more helpful than others. For instance last year my reason to someone was "Mermaids just creep me out"--not the most helpful response but very true. 
  • If I ask you a question in my response (What is your book about?), it's a rhetorical question. You don't need to answer it. 
  • Don't reply to thank me. Don't feel you need to thank me but if you must, take to twitter or comment on the blog. 
  • Oh and if you queried but didn't put "I can handle the truth" you got just a regular reply. That sucks and I'm sorry if you meant to put it in the subject line but I didn't know that. 


You may also like

7 comments:

Lora said...

I so appreciate you doing this! Your feedback was super helpful :)

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

Thank you for the update.

It's exciting to me that you are (or seem to indicate that you are) getting queries you're requesting on. Of course, you know how we starry eyed authors get: "Could that ever be me"

Happy reading!

Gary Snodgrass said...

Thank you for reviewing my query. I appreciate the honest feedback.

Stephen Kozeniewski said...

Thanks. I was actually heartened by my response. I assumed it would be some variant of "No f-ing way" but mine was much nicer.

Annette T Dodd said...

Thanks for your feedback, which I greatly appreciated (yay! You loved my query). You're such a star for doing this. :)

Cheyenne Campbell said...

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Your reply was immensely encouraging. I'm grateful!

Teagan Marie said...

Thank you for the feedback. I suppose it is hard to stand out in a saturated market. Time to shelve and move onto the next I guess. Thanks again.