Interview with Cora Carmack

/
0 Comments
Today I have Cora Carmack on the blog. She is of course, the fabulously talented New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of Losing It and Faking It.

Her novella, Keeping Her, a sequel to Losing It comes out in August, and her third novel, Finding It, will be released this fall. As someone who's read them both, I can tell you that they're just as fabulous as her first two books. If you're a fan, you won't be disappointed.

Okay, Cora, tell us what your most recent book is about in 140 characters or less.
FAKING IT is the story of two people who don’t fit together on paper, but through a bit of pretending, they discover something real.

And is this book part of a series?
It is, yes, but they don’t have to be read in order. FAKING IT is a stand-alone companion novel to my first book, LOSING IT.

What was your favorite scene to write and why?
I loved writing all of the scenes to do with Max’s music. But probably my favorite of those was the scene in which Cade sees her sing for the first time. That was a really fun moment to see through his eyes.

What turns you on creatively?
I’m a visual person, so usually something I see. I’ll see a particular landscape and want to write a scene there. I’ll see a guy sitting on a park bench or a girl waiting for the subway, and a whole story will start to unfurl in my head.

Music is a close second though.

Now, I've already talked about how you queried me after self-publishing Losing It, but I know there's more to the story. When you were querying how many (if any) rejection letters did you get? 
Well… because I’d self-pubbed LOSING IT, it was a bit of a different scenario. But long before I wrote LOSING IT, I’d queried another book. At that point, I think I queried just under 100 agents before being offered representation. Unfortunately, that book and that agent relationship didn’t work out.

So if Losing It wasn't the first novel you wrote, what was it? 
It was a YA fantasy novel that’s currently hidden away in the far, far reaches of outerspace… otherwise known as my computer.

What other jobs did you do to support your writing? 
Let’s see… I worked at Target all through college, as well as a smoothie place. I worked in a regional theatre. I was a high school theatre teacher. I worked for a literary agency and a small independent publisher.

And now I work for me. :)

Nothing better than working for yourself! If your first book was YA, what drew you to New Adult? 

I didn’t really actively decide to write New Adult. But my first new adult character, Bliss, came into my head almost fully formed. And she was in college, that much was certain. So, really I found myself writing New Adult by default.

Well, I know a lot of people who are glad that you did (including me!). Before you go, leave us with a quote from Faking It.
Absolutely! This is a quote that Cade says to Max in FAKING IT.

I’ll remind you every day how amazing it feels when your body touches mine. I’ll remind you of the good times, and help you forget the bad. I’ll remind you who you are when life has beaten you down and made you doubt it. I’ll bust down your door in the middle of the night and kiss you until you remember that your fears are just that, and they can’t control you. I’ll take my chances against your fickle heart if it means it’s mine.

Ah! I love that quote. 

Here's where you can find Cora on the internet:


Blog: http://coracarmack.blogspot.com
Facebook: CoraCarmackBooks
Twitter: @CoraCarmack
Amazon Author Page: http://tinyurl.com/CoraCarmackAmazon
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6535659.Cora_Carmack



You may also like

No comments: