I'm Addicted to New Adult

/
12 Comments
So many of you may know this already, but for a long time, I was not sold on the idea of New Adult. In fact a number of times, I said it wasn't a thing or that I didn't believe in it.

I wasn't sure what it meant or where I was sell it or where the books would go on a shelf in a store or how it differed from just regular adult books with twenty-something characters who would appeal to younger readers. It seemed amorphous and everyone seemed to have different viewpoints about what it was.

Some of that hasn't changed.

I still don't know where the books fit best on a shelf. (Most are being shelved in romance.) I still think New Adult can sometimes be described as adult books with crossover appeal and that there are some adult books out there that could have been called New Adult if the term was around when they'd been published. I'm still not sure if or how New Adult will break out into other genres besides contemporary romance.

But as I mentioned on twitter six months ago, when I read Losing It by Cora Carmack, I officially ate my words about New Adult not being a thing. I was wrong. It suddenly had become something I really (really) liked.

If you're not sure what New Adult is, here's a definition that I like. I'm also going to paraphrase Cora Carmack who said that if YA tells stories of teens becoming adults, then NA tells stories of characters who are now adults in the eyes of the world, but they're looking around and asking themselves "now what?"

Because there's a lot of great writers who are writing in this genre. I've been reading as many of them as I can in my spare time, and I'm really excited about the genre. In fact, I like New Adult so much that I'm pretty addicted to it. As a result, I want to talk about it more.

If you're addicted to New Adult too, here's how you can let everyone now.


Display this banner on your blog/website and join me June 24th-July 16th in discussions about New Adult.

Tomorrow I'll be kicking off the discussion by telling the world how I fell for New Adult--and so will everyone else at New Leaf.


You may also like

12 comments:

Juliana Haygert said...

I'm glad you like and support NA, Suzie!

Amy Pine said...

It is so great to see the publishing industry embracing NA! I'm addicted too!

Frankie Brown said...

Suzie, have you read the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning? I LOVE those books. They were published fairly recently, and I think were shelved as run-of-the-mill adult urban fantasy. In my mind, they are the quintessential non-contemporary NA. I can't wait to read more books like them!

Cora Carmack said...

I adore you. That is all. And I'm thankful every day that you gave my query a chance anyway!

<3

Laura @Bookish Treasures said...

I am very glad that you support NA :)

Catherine Stine said...

I'm starting to write NA and it's a ton of fun!

JoSVolpe said...

I blame Suzie for my addiction to New Adult. <3333

Loretta Nyhan said...

I'm on a New Adult reading binge! I'm loving it!

Carrie Butler said...

That's great to hear! :)

Chelsea Fine said...

Yay! :)

Lori Adams said...

Love this discussion so I posted the banner and link on my website!! LoriAdamsBooks.com Let's keep the topic going . . .

STBende said...

This makes me so so happy. Thanks for pushing for our newbie genre. We really appreciate it!