Friday, August 31, 2012

Query Roundup 8/31

As of 7:11 pm, Friday, August 31st, I'm caught up on queries. I answered the 214 queries that were in my inbox. If you queried me this week and didn't get a response, double check the submission guidelines and send off the query again.

This was a strange group of queries. There are some exceptions, but there were a lot of queries that had me scratching my head. At the risk of preaching to the choir:


  • Make sure your query actually names your main character. (Don't just say, "This novel tells how the main character...")
  • Rather than paste in a paragraph excerpt, tell what the novel is about then paste your first pages in below the query.
  • I don't want to read your "best scene" in those 5-10 pages below the query. I want to read from the beginning just like an editor and a reader would.
  • Start with your main character and the book, not what inspired you or how much money you will make me

Of the 214 queries...

I regrettably passed on 2 manuscripts that sparked my interest at first

A contemporary YA with a really cool title sucked me into the premise, but the voice didn't grab me
A historical adult ms with romantic elements. I liked the query and the beginning a lot, but as I kept reading the pages it started to lose me. I didn't connect with the characters so I passed.

I requested 3 manuscripts

A YA epic fantasy that had a great query and a catchy voice
YA contemporary with a really good query, good pages, and an offer (already!)
MG historical with a really cool premise and great writing

0 comments:

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?