Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Happy Release!

Today is a very special day and one that has been a long time in the making.

When I was still an assistant, I got a query about a girl who thinks she has nine lives and her twin sister who doesn't even get to keep her one life because she has leukemia.

A little less than a month later, I finally had a chance to sit down with the manuscript on a train ride from NY to Philadelphia. And I loved it. The manuscript made me laugh, it made me cry, and it made me sit in the train station for an extra twenty minutes while I turned pages until it was over. I wasn't willing to get in my car and drive home until I knew what happened.

When I read the last line, I knew this was a book that had changed my life.

I got second reads and everyone at my agency loved it as much as I did so I spoke to the author and offered representation. We did some revisions and went on submission.

It was the second book I sold.

It's a book I've read a number of times, through each revision. It's also a book that has quotes that I've typed up and taped to my wall. It's poignant and beautiful, funny and also heartbreaking.

And today it's a real book available in stores.


Happy Release Day to Sarah Wylie!



9 comments:

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

The cover is stunning and I love the concept of this book.

Elizabeth Rose Stanton said...

Congratulations to all!

Little Ms J said...

So proud of Sarah With A Chance! Congrats to all involved!

T. Drecker said...

Gorgeous cover! Congratulations to everyone!

Charlie Holmberg said...

Wow. I got chills with the trailer, and I love the cover. Sounds like a great story--adding it to my Goodreads list.

Faith King said...

What a great story. Sounds like the kind of special moment we all live for-- not just writers, agents, or even artists, but everyone. :-)

Jeanmarie Anaya said...

I met Sarah a while ago when I won a critique that she'd donated to a friend's blog. She struck me then as particularly kind-hearted and warm, and I've no doubt it's going to be an amazing book. So happy for her!!!

celdaran said...

What a feel-good post. I probably spend a bit too much time reading about "query fails". It makes me forget that, though few and far between, the successes are infinitely more satisfying to read about. Congrats to you and your author!

Charmaine Clancy said...

Looks beautiful and sounds beautiful. I can't wait to read All These Lives.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?