Monday, May 9, 2011

Original Sin Winner!

Wow! These entires were fantastic--thank you everyone for entering. Congratulations to everyone who did--these were some of the best ones I've read.

Best Animal Character
brianbuckley.com @ 9:23 pm

Best Edgar Allan Poe Allusion
Sunlight Shadows @ 8:59 pm

Best Use of "A Devil's Own"
Katherine Tomlinson @ 9:46 pm

Best High School Scene
Taryn @ 10:45 pm

Best Zombie Entry
Holly Ann @ 11:05 pm

Most Interesting Rhetorical Manipulation 
Xander Pike @ 12:02 am

Best Swoonworthy Athlete
Kristi @ 3:20 pm

Best Description of a Setting
David @ 5:44 pm

Best Futuristic
Jennifer Rush @ 1:29 am

Best Short Entry
Em-Musing @ 7:30 am

Best Online Dating Site Name
Steve Forti @ 3:45 pm

Best First Line
Ms. Snip @ 1:14 pm

Best Craving for Revenge
Bruce Thole @ 1:00 pm

And the runners up...

Best Twist
Nicole Zoltack @ 7:56 pm

&

Best Voice
Katherine Hazen @ 12:26 am

And the winner is...

DD3123 @ 10:27 am

At age nine, standing just outside the garage door, I began a personal relationship with fire. A flick of my wrist sent a bottle flying. It was a lit Molotov, of sorts. But more refined. An original recipe, by yours truly. The bottle arced through the air and broke on the carport. Flames danced across the floor and up the walls like demons hellbent on consummation. Smiling, I cared not that this was a supposed sin. It was glorious. Beautiful.

And as Mother lay inside, bound and gagged, I could have sworn I heard her call me, “A Devil’s own.”



Congratulations to everyone. If the winner sends me an email with his/her address, I'll mail out a copy of Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers.

14 comments:

Jeff King said...

Congratulations to everyone... nice work.

Katherine Hazen said...

Congrats, DD3123!

Monika said...

Congratulations to DD3123. Love it!

Katherine Tomlinson said...

Wow--good one.

HollyAnn said...

Woohoo! Best zombie entry! Yeeaah! I mean, ahem, congrats to the winner! : )

Sunlight Shadows said...

Congrats, DD3123! Great piece.

Ah, the Poe obsession. It started young. It has not died. Thank you for acknowledging my homage!

Ms. Snip said...

Congrats to DD3123! Way creepy! And I for one, am grateful to be mentioned. Thank you for these contests, they're a blast!

Alli Sinclair said...

So many great entries! Well done everyone! DD3123, what a purely evil entry. Nice work!

DD3123 said...

Holy crap! I won?! :) Thanks a ton, I just want to add that was some tough competition!

Stephsco said...

The winner is deserving. That one is awesome!

Annalisa said...

well deserved! disturbing read, but thrilling at the same time!

Bruce Thole said...

First of all, congrats to DD3123. Secondly, thank you Suzie for the mention.

L.J. Boldyrev said...

Love that winning entry!

esss said...

Congratulations...You have truly been an inspiration.
Essay Writing

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?