Monday, January 3, 2011

In 2010...

I announced the sale of Personal Demons, my first sale.  A few weeks later I got to meet Lisa when she was in NY and I went through editing, production, and publication at a slightly fast forwarded speed.  I held the ARCs this summer.  Then in September, I got to see the first book I sold in print.



I survived the #snowpocalypse.

I bought a Blackberry.  It immediately took over my life.

I sold another book and proved that first one wasn't a fluke.  Then I sold a few more.

I met The Patrick Lee and went to see Avatar with him and The Janet Reid when he was in town.  And yes, I kept the glasses.



I moved from Philadelphia to Brooklyn.  And wondered how I had ever done that two hour train commute for a year and a half.  Then I killed a few mice and had a few hysterical melt downs in the process.  (My apologies to the people who had to be on the other side of the phone during those meltdowns.  I'd say it won't happen again, but...yeah.)

I celebrated turning one year older with red velvet cake and suite 500.  And got the best birthday present ever.



I went to my first writing conference as a real agent (instead of minion to The Janet Reid).  Then I went to more.  I walked the beach on the Emerald Coast of Florida, ate at the Cheesecake Factory with Kristin Nelson and Joanna in St. Louis, drove to Connecticut with Mer Bear, Whitney, and KOrtizzle (who had the best line of the day), did both days of Backspace twice, found Bear Spray in Wyoming, ate lunch in Long Island for the RWA luncheon, took the bus to DC with Mer Bear, enjoyed Muncie Indiana, participated in WriteOnCon, and spent a long weekend at Myrtle Beach.



I fought with Joanna over Dan Krokos.

I raised money for Do the Write Thing for Nashville.

I hung out in NY with Hannah Moskowitz.  Twice.

I went to some more 3D movies.



I swagged at BEA and ordered a few people around in the process.  (Kody, Sara, Mer Bear, Juju, I'd apologize only all that swag we got should be sufficient.)  I also added a lot to my TBR room.  And managed to drink 17 soy chai lattes from Starbucks that week.

I saw Manhattanhenge.



I tried Pinkberry (totesthe best hun-cal froyo) with Emilia Plater.

Janet Reid wrote me an apology acknowledging she was wrong and I was right when we had differing opinions on who sang "I Will Survive."  Then she gave me the finger when I posted a picture of her apology note on twitter.  (I have a picture of that too...)

I highjacked her contest and we fought over You.

I went to the Mockingjay midnight release party at Books of Wonder.


I hung out with more fabulous authors, like Allison Pang, Julie Cross, and Derek Molata.  Speaking of Julie Cross, news of her awesome forthcoming debut novel hit Perez Hilton.

I moved from Brooklyn to Washington Heights.  And went back to Brooklyn for the Brooklyn Book Festival.  And I went to NY Comic Con.

I saw Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers at Radio City Music Hall.


I went to Bouchercon in San Francisco, had lunch with Ingrid Paulson and went to the Northern California Independent Booksellers Trade Show in Oakland with Lisa Desrochers.  I hung out with The Janet Reid, Barbara Poelle, Dan Krokos, Gary Corby, Jeff Somers, and Patrick Lee.  I bought and drank Maker's Mark.  (I'm still not sure whose idea that was...) I shook Lee Child's hand.  And I went to Chinatown.

I read 102 published books.  And I bought 92 orders on Amazon.

I made some new friends.  (My mom called on a Sunday when I was in suite 500 to encourage me to be more social, so I had to.)  I fell in love.  Again and again.  With manuscripts, books, characters, writers, and this industry.

Here's to 2011.

31 comments:

magolla said...

Beautiful picture of Manhattenhenge! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Bri Clark said...

That's a lot... you obviously journal..or just went back through your twitter and blog posts. Which is a form of modern journaling if you look at it.

I learned and loved tremendously in this industry as well. If I had to sum up the best lesson I learned it would be that having more than one publisher at once doesn't make you a tramp...it makes you talented.

Casey McCormick said...

What an amazing year, Suzie. I can't wait to see what you do in 2011!

Mary Gray said...

A wonderful, full year. Congrats on succeeding so well as a literary agent!!

Matthew Rush said...

Wow. What an amazing year! You have such an interesting life. I can't believe PD was your first sale. My daughter loves Lisa D.

Elaine AM Smith said...

That was all in one a year? ;)
I hope 2011 makes it look like you were coasting.

Kate Larkindale said...

Sounds like a pretty fantastic year. May 2011 be even better...

Richard Levangie said...

This feels profound and touching. Congratulations for making your life extraordinary!

Mflick1 said...

I loved reading this post! Congrats on your success and thanks for the hope for future writers like me!

Emilia Plater said...

OH MY GOODNESS the snowpacolypse. That was a wild one :D

I have to tell you... the other day my friend and I were discussing Pinkberry and she was all, "That can't be healthy for you" and I was immediately all, "IT'S HUNCAL FROYO DUH."

You trained me well ;D

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

What a wonderful year!! I hope 2011 brings you just as many awesome moments if not more!!

Btw, I've missed your blog. I have been a horrible blogger, and not keeping up with anyone's blogs but this is now changing, lol

Michelle said...

Lovely pictures! Since Pinkberry is kinda an east-coast thing, I was very confused at the HUNCAL FROYO, I thought you were speaking Korean! XD;;

Here's to a great 2011!

suzie townsend said...

Michelle: YouTube "Boys Acting Like Girls" and watch the video. It's phenomenal.

Allison Pang said...

...and it was fab hanging out with *you*. Thanks for being my awesomesauce agent! :D

Lisa Desrochers said...

I'm so glad I had, not one, but two chances to hang out with you this year! It's been a wild ride! 2011 will have many more wild rides in store for you! Thanks for being the bestest angent evah!

Jess Tudor said...

Yay for 2010! So excited to be a part of your lit world!! :)

readingkidsbooks said...

You sure crammed a lot into a year. Glad I don't have to keep up with you, but happy to have been a part of your 2010. Best in 2011. Sheryl

Nikki said...

I'm so happy 2010 was such an amazing year for you! Here's hoping you find just as many things beautiful about 2011.

David said...

Your work ethic and desire to live a life worth living inspires me to write all the harder.

Thanks for being not only an agent, but a person who inspires. It is people like you for whom I write. Not just for those in the biz, but for lovers of word people!

Dan Krokos said...

BCON BOURBON CLUB.

totes my idea.

Little Ms J said...

What a gorgeous way to commemorate a fantastic year. Happy New Years and I hope 2011's post is twice as long.

Shari Green said...

Wow, what a year full of goodness! Wishing you all the best in 2011. :)

pegasus358 said...

Yo Suzie, I'm exhausted reading about all your 2010 adventures!

Looking forward to reading about your 2011 accomplishments and seeing ROTK at RCMH in October!

--Beth M

The Las Vegas Writer said...

This is a great post. Bring on 2011!

Mike Koch - Protect The Risen said...

As a sub-header to all you did for 2010... You also kept us, well me specifically, excited about the whole process of writing. Your blog entries are fun and creative and help inspire me to keep going with what I'm doing. You are putting an 'approachable' face to your profession, so kudos for that. Lisa Derochers and your other clients are lucky to have you.

Also btw, Personal Demons was the first book that I literally hunted down in a bookstore in an effort to legitimize whether you were a decent agent. I said to myself if she can get a book published and have it show up in lil-town Georgia, then she's the one for me. Didn't hurt you took a visit to Myrtle Beach, a favorite vacation destination of mine. So mad at myself for not attending that conference, but I wasn't yet ready.

Meredith Barnes said...

What a fantastic post!!! I'm so glad I got to experience so many of them with you. It's awesome to have so many of my "Best Of" moments include you.

xxx

Abby Minard said...

Oh, that sounds like a wonderful year! What great experiences! Hope you have a spectacular 2011!

Margo Kelly said...

Amazing! What a great year for you. :-) ... Bring on 2011!

Julie said...

I'm so honored to be part of your exciting year! We have Perez to thank for that, right?

Oh... and someone needs to write your story. 2010 alone could be a 4 book deal. Seriously.

Derek Molata said...

Best. Roundup. Post. Evar.

It was SO awesome hanging in person. 2011 is gonna rock socks.

PS that totally WAS Olivia Munn. ;)

Chersti Nieveen said...

What an awesome year! Here's looking to an even better one in 2011 :-)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?