Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Is This The Most Gorgeous Cover Ever?

No, probably not. Maybe.

It's definitely an incredible example of a cover that tells you something. Not that it's YA vs. adult (in my opinion, this could be a cover for either), not the "tone" or the time period, although it does both of those things. I mean it tells us about the crux of the plot. It hints at the major choices the characters will face. The stakes.

This woman is leaving. She's moving towards something else, which is interesting too, but she's looking back, not forward. It could be that she's being forced to leave something she doesn't want to (reading the synopsis, it seems likely). But it could also be that she's escaping, and the glance over her shoulder is to ensure she's not being pursued. There's so much tension!! It's in the way her fist is clenched against the seat, like she's turning frantically before the last glimpse is lost. She's uncoiffed, rushed.

I think it's thrilling. Seen any good ones lately?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the good thing about the cover is that I know by glancing at it that it's not my type of book. :) But I never cared much for Anita Shreve's books. Beautifully written but so melancoly. She makes me feel as though my heart is drowning in saltwater.

I haven't seen many covers I loved lately. I found several more attractive than others. One thing, if one is doing a romance, please don't let them do a super cheesy cover that makes me be embarrassed to be seen with the book. Just a thought

T

hannah said...

Gotta be honest, it's pretty, but her neck is looking kinda freaky long for me.

Esther Sparhawk said...

Kids at the school where I teach often talk about the covers of Maggie Stiefvater's books, Shiver and Linger. At first glance, it looks like a forest is decorating the covers. A more detailed study reveals images hidden in the flora.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?