Wednesday, September 8, 2010

IF I STAY omgguys...omg

Guys. OMG Guys. Guys! GUYSGUYSGUYS!!!!!!!!!! OK.
So:

The lovely friend Cassie brought some books to Triumvant (yes, I made that up. not the point.) Suzie. In her infinite and graceful benevolence, T.S. held up IF I STAY and was all "Hey, Meredith, this is good, would you like to borrow it?" and I was all "Yeah, sure." (Thinking: Suzie never leads me astray. It's not like I read much anymore...I should really get on that.)

OMG. OMGeeee!! alfhNAFCN:iueyfWEHFklnfclaofhb fv'. Guys.

This book. Is. So! Good!

I started it on the subway home from work tonight. Where The Hat Trick commenced. 1. Crying on Public Transportation 2. I missed my stop 3. I walked home reading. (Not true. I started, but that's unsafe. Safety first, readers!)

Guys. Read this book.

The last normal moment that Mia, a talented cellist, can remember is being in the car with her family. Then she is standing outside her body beside their mangled Buick and her parents' corpses, watching herself and her little brother being tended by paramedics. As she ponders her state (Am I dead? I actually have to ask myself this), Mia is whisked away to a hospital, where, her body in a coma, she reflects on the past and tries to decide whether to fight to live. Via Mia's thoughts and flashbacks, Forman (Sisters in Sanity) expertly explores the teenager's life, her passion for classical music and her strong relationships with her family, friends and boyfriend, Adam. Mia's singular perspective (which will recall Alice Sebold's adult novel, The Lovely Bones) also allows for powerful portraits of her friends and family as they cope: Please don't die. If you die, there's going to be one of those cheesy Princess Diana memorials at school, prays Mia's friend Kim. I know you'd hate that kind of thing. Intensely moving, the novel will force readers to take stock of their lives and the people and things that make them worth living.
Guys.

18 comments:

Julie said...

I LOVE this book!!! Best, best, most creative YA sex scene ever and its totally ambiguous.

Summit is gonna make it a movie. I hope the music is totally awesome! It needs to be.

Midnight Bloom said...

I LOVED this book. I was pretty much crying and reading through my tears the whole time, but it didn't stop the novel from being so so good. I can't wait for Where She Went!! :)

suzie townsend said...

yeah, um no read walking home from the subway :)

Meredith Barnes said...

Yes. You heard it from Triumvant Suzie. No walking and reading.

Nathalie said...

I concur! Such a great story and so far removed from many popular YA themes out there! And I do hear there is a book #2?

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

I LOVE this book!!!! And yes, book 2 is called Where She Went and comes out in April!!!!

Janet Reid said...

If I hear about you walking home when you miss your stop, I'm going to redecorate the office again. And make you live IN it. Under your desk.

Myrna Foster said...

It totally made me cry.

Simon Hay Soul Healer said...

I'm ordering it today! One of my fav authors also recommended it.

coffeelvnmom said...

Bought this the other day and was going to start reading it this weekend, but I just might start sooner after reading yet another good blog about it! ;)

Ladybug said...

I loved this book as well :D Looking forward to the next book, it will be interesting to see where Forman takes her characters next.

Gem said...

I love this book so much! Sat in Borders to read first chapter, didn't move for 2 hours, sobbed in the very public seating area at the ending, then still bought it to force into the hands of friends :)

Lola Sharp said...

I too loved it; I too sobbed. Snot bubbles and all.

Cheyanne said...

I actually found an ARC of this book in a thrift store, how crazy is that? I ended up reading it all in one sitting, crying and sobing, because I just couldn't put it down!

Pam Torres said...

Great Review! Another book for my TO BE READ list. I really liked The Lovely Bones.

Solvang Sherrie said...

I just read this a few weeks ago and I was blown away. I'm glad there's a sequel coming out next year.

Nikki said...

Thank you for the heads up!
I read this post, picked up the book today, and finished it this afternoon. Gorgeous, and I had a good cry.
Wow is right.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a powerful book - thanks for the tip! :)

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?