Thursday, July 1, 2010

And we have a winner!

We had 98 entries in the contest for the Personal Demons ARC, and I can't even begin to tell you how many made me laugh out loud when they showed up.  For the past few days I've been reading blog comments out loud in the office.

For those who wondered, I have four dogs.  Their names are: Sage, Epic, Slevin, and Fate.

(here we are lounging)

Then of course Dan is Dan of the Release the Krokos stardom.

Onto more important things, such as winners.

Best Entry by a Colleague:
Suzie's Fan Club (7:58pm)

Best Use of "Sage":
Lauren Jean (5:29pm)

Best Use of a Celine Dion Song Lyric:
Deb (11:52pm) with My heart will go on


Dan's Favorite:
ally (10:02pm)

Best Multi-Lingual Pun:
jdh (11:59am)

Best Inclusion of the Personal Demons storyline:
Quizzical Feline (4:28pm)



“You don’t understand,” Gabe said. “There’s an epic battle for your soul.”


“It’s not really a battle,” Luc said. “Fate, Dan and Slevin already decided the outcome.”
“Who’re they?” Frannie asked.
“I’ll explain later. For now, come with me.”
“Yeah. If you want to die. Come with me.”
She looked between them. The safe choice was the angel. So she chose the demon.
Wrapping his arm around her waist, her guided her to the water’s edge.
“Release the Krokos!”
As the sea began to boil, and a sage-colored light lit the demon’s maniacal grin, she understood.
Fate screwed her.


Second Place
Erin Kelly (10:58pm)

And the winner of the Personal Demons ARC is:


(our whole office laughed at this one) 


“Release the—”


“Krokos! Get your ass in here.”


“Yes, Ms. Janet?”


“Don’t you try and tempt fate again, Danny boy. If I’ve told you once—hell, that should be enough. Don’t fraternize with Suzie. You’re getting her all confused and googly-eyed. She needs to focus, Krokos. Focus.”


“Yes, Ms. Janet. Sage advice, Ms. Janet.”


“What were you two doing out there anyway?”


“Practicing lines. She’s up for the starring role in FinePrint’s community theater rendition of Bill and Slevin’s Epic Adventure. She’s having trouble with the...you know—love scene.”


“FinePrint doesn’t have a community theater.”


“Oh.”

“Suzie!”

Congratualtions to justwritecat (12:34pm), our winner. Send me your mailing address and I'll be glad to send you the ARC of Personal Demons.

Thank you to everyone who participated. Your entries rocked!

19 comments:

Erin Kelly said...

The winner was hilarious!

I guess I will tuck my acceptance speech away for next time ;) (I still called my husband at work to crow about 2nd place)

Thanks for such a fun contest, I had a great time reading the other entries. Looks like I'll be heading to the bookstore for my copy of Personal Demons!

Marjorie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie Lamb said...

Congratulations justwritecat! I thought your entry would win. It was my favourite!

Marjorie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicola Marsh said...

I read the winning entry over my breakfast, Suzie, and promptly snorted my juice!

Hilarious!!

Simon Hay Soul Healer said...

Congratulations justwritecat! Thanks Suzie, for the competition.

Francis said...

Congrats justwritecat, much deserved :)

Nicole MacDonald said...

excellent choice! Love the pic of the doggies too awwww

justwritecat said...

It does this writer's soul good to know I can make people snort juice. :)

Thank you so much for all the kind words!

Cat

Josin L. McQuein said...

Hey! How'd my puppy get on your couch? (The Boston in the back looks like my doggie :-P )

Marjorie said...

Congratulations, justwritecat! ("And the winner of the Personal Demons ARC is a tie") If it's a "tie," who is the other winner?

My favorite is by Paul C Maurer. I loved love loved his entry!

suzie townsend said...

Marjorie, oops, apparently I was lying. My fingers must have wanted to give away more copies. Perhaps that means I'll have to do more contests in the near future :)

Marjorie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne Rock said...

As soon as I read justwritecat's entry, I knew it was going to be a winner. Congrats - it was hilarious!

Marjorie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzie's Fan Club said...

:(((

I really wanted that ARC.

Marjorie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marjorie said...

Hey, guys! My blog has a cool writing contest, too! Check it out:

http://marjorie-cartoons.blogspot.com/2010/07/channeling-for-writing-contest.html

at:
http://www.marjorie-cartoons.blogspot.com

ally said...

Hahahah x)! Congrats to the winner :)! And thanks Dan!!! Although, I have an idea as to why my entry was your favorite =P!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?