Sunday, April 18, 2010

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

This weekend I finished reading the latest novel in the Mercy Thompson series (one of my favorite urban fantasy series), Silver Bourne, by Patricia Briggs.

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down.


It seems the book contains secret knowledge-and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands. And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side-leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.


All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live...


Definitely a fantastic new installment in the Mercy series.  I was enthralled from the first page until the end.  And of course anyone out there who loves urban fantasy should definitely be reading this series.

Check out the sample chapter.

8 comments:

Ann Marie Wraight said...

It's great to see that lately quite a few competitions are open INTERNATIONALLY...I'm sure that others like me don't feel so isolated.

THANK YOU for taking the time to post
AT THE WEEKEND
- that's true dedication!

Kay said...

I get a little confused with all the ways "fantasy" in broken into sub-genres, so I noticed when you called the Mercy Thompson series "urban fantasy". Having driven through that area many times, I've always thought the series "rural fantasy". Guess my mind is just to literal.

Patti said...

I loved this book - Ms. Briggs did it again as far as I'm concerned. I love Mercy, and Adam,and Samuel, and....you get the picture!

Janicu said...

Heh, it's Borne, not Bourne (I kept correcting myself too. Is it the BOURNE IDENTITY/ULTIMATUM/ etc movies? I dunno).

suzie townsend said...

Kay, "urban fantasy" is the subgenre for fiction with fantasy or paranormal elements which are set in a modern day/realistic (ie urban) setting. (like Laurell K Hamilton, Jim Butcher, Kim Harrison, etc).

Janicu, eek! #agentfail

Shelley Watters said...

This sounds right up my alley. It sounds fantastic. My poor kids are going to have to go to a community college because mommy spent all their college money on books! Hehe. Just kidding. But Ms. Briggs is definitely on my list to read!

So many amazing books, so little time to read them...

Thanks for bringing her work to our attention!

Suzette Saxton said...

Thanks for the recommendation! =)

Tina said...

I really enjoyed this one. Her MT series gets better and better with each book.

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?