Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Melina Marchetta is Brilliant (Or I Just Read Finnikin of the Rock Twice)

About a year ago, I was introduced to Melina Marchetta by the fabulously talented Kristin Miller who sent me a copy of Jellicoe Road and subsequently changed my life.  After falling in love with her brilliant writing, I immediately set out to read everything else she'd ever written.


Fast forward to last week.  I picked up a copy of her newest release Finnikin of the Rock when I was in Missouri for the Missouri Writers Guild Annual Conference.  I read it.  Loved it.  Read it again.  Loved it even more the second time.

At the age of nine, Finnikin is warned by the gods that he must sacrifice a pound of flesh in order to save the royal house of his homeland, Lumatere.


And so he stands on the rock of three wonders with his childhood friend Prince Balthazar and the prince's cousin, Lucian, and together they mix their blood. And Lumatere is safe.


Until the 'five days of the unspeakable', when the King and Queen and their children are slaughtered in the palace. And an imposter king takes the throne.
And a curse is put on Lumatere, which traps those caught inside and forces thousands of others to roam the land as exiles, dying of fever and persecution in foreign camps.


But ten years later Finnikin is led to another rock to meet the young novice, Evanjalin. A girl plagued by dark dreams, who holds the key to their return to the Land of light...

Instead of risking plot spoilers, I'm not going to do anything but say If you liked Kristin Cashore and Graceling and Fire, you will LOVE Finnikin of the Rock.

6 comments:

jenheadjen said...

Thanks for the referral, Suzie! My husband love those other books, although I have yet to try them. This will very well make a great Father's Day gift!

Kaitlin Ward said...

I have wanted to read this for months! Everyone is talking about it lately, I think the universe might be telling me to get on it.

Myrna Foster said...

Thanks for the recommendation!

ICQB said...

I loved this book, too! I love that E_____ didn't feel the need to explain herself. That's confidence.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks. This sounds so awesome.

kanishk said...

according to me it looks sounds so awesome.
indian classified site

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?