Friday, April 9, 2010

Because even though I love YA...

It's not the only genre I'm looking for.

Keep in mind when you're querying agents, yes you want to query agents who read and like the genre you're writing, but an agent who represents a manuscript just like yours might not want another one.  It doesn't do us any good to have unpublished projects which are going to compete with each other.

So yes I love YA - send me your fantastic YA manuscripts.  I will always love YA - especially literary or upmarket YA with a commercial hook.

But I also love middle grade and adult fiction too - paranormal romance, urban fantasy, science fiction, women's fiction, contemporary romance...

What I'd love to find right now in particular:

A paranormal romance with a fast paced great plot line - something that could be a series (a la JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series, which makes me feel a little like an addict...ok a lot like an addict)

An intricate middle grade fantasy series with amazing worldbuilding (no wizards please)

A dark romantic fantasy with an epic cast of characters, intrigue, betrayal, etc (a la Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel Series or Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy)

A strong female protagonist urban fantasy novel that's not vampires but has a strong voice (like Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series)

A fun contemporary literary middle grade with a great commercial hook.

For more info, check out my submission guidelines and FinePrint's website.

11 comments:

lotusgirl said...

This is all good news to me. It sounds like when I get mine polished up and sparkling it might be something to interest you.

TrishaleighKC said...

I just had to comment because you mentioned Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy.

I think I called in sick to work to finish those and went into a deep, dark depression when I ran out of words.

Not really on the second part. Mostly.

Thanks for the information.

Cynthia Reese said...

Ah, you have highlighted the chief fault with the "research agents until you find one that reps a book exactly like your MS."

It's hard enough for agents to compete with other agents ... entirely too much to ask them to compete with themselves!

Josin L. McQuein said...

Are you okay with paranormal MG that isn't wizards? Or would you rather see more contemporary stories without the "unusual" elements?

suzie townsend said...

Josin, I am okay with paranormal MG or MG with "unusual" elements. Just no Wizards :)

Janet Johnson said...

Thanks for sharing your interests!

Shelley Watters said...

OMG. I absolutely LOVE JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It is an addiction. Did you know that Lover Mine is out April 27th? I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Have you read her Fallen Angels series? I haven't yet...

Cory said...

A strong female protagonist urban fantasy novel that's not vampires but has a strong voice (like Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress Series)

That made me go, "Yes! That's exactly my book! I should totally query her--oh wait, I already did."

Cue sadface.

Thanks for this post, though; I always like seeing specifics of what agents are looking for.

Corinne said...

Posted with the wrong account--this is me.

pegasus358 said...

The Black Jewels are the best books ever... I feel as though we need to discuss these in more detail, Suzie!

--Beth M from Writers House

edentylerwriter.com said...

even a few months late (one minute away from october, literally!), it gives me confidence to see a certain one of those *wants* on your list.
here's hoping you haven't already found it... ;)
(or maybe you have and just haven't gotten to it yet lol)
love posts like these. they help a lot!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?