I love all subgenres of YA, but I'm especially looking for contemporary YA with a swoonworthy romance.
I'm especially looking for high concept literary middle grade like Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me and high stakes MG like the movie SUPER 8 in novel form.
New adult, especially contemporary romances that aren't overly issue-driven but still have an amazing love story.
Upmarket and issue driven women’s fiction. I love novels that would be great for book club discussions. I especially love authors like Jodi Picoult, Sue Monk Kidd, Anna Quindlen, and Alice Hoffman.
Paranormal romance. I’m an absolute junkie for steamy page turning paranormal romances. I own every Jeaniene Frost, Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, and Gena Showalter novel.
Historical romance sagas. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet is one of my favorites, and I recently loved novels by Phillippa Gregory, Karleen Koen, and Elizabeth Chadwick. The Tudors is also a guilty pleasure of mine, and I find especially English and French history fascinating.
Urban fantasy. This is my absolute favorite genre as a reader, but I’m looking for something other than just vampires. The darker the better. Kim Harrison and Kelley Armstrong are on my must read list.
Dark romantic fantasy. The more epic the better. Anne Bishop’s Black Jewels Trilogy and Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel series cost me friends since I spent days holed up reading.
How to Query
To see a pretty simple breakdown of what you need and how it's different for fiction, memoir, and non-fiction go here. For fiction and memoir, your manuscript must be complete and polished. Don't send unsolicited attachments of any kind. Be sure to include your full name, email address, mailing address, and telephone number in your query (and on your manuscript!). For fiction, include the word count (use the word count tool in your word processing program).
For well formated query examples, go here.
***I now accept only email queries. ***
Make sure you only query me when your manuscript is COMPLETE. (And by COMPLETE, I mean you've drafted, revised, and polished your manuscript).
- Send all email queries to QUERY(at)newleafliterary(dot)com Put "QUERY--SUZIE" in the subject line
- Please include your first 5-10 double-spaced sample pages within the body of the email
- I do NOT open attachments Include all necessary contact information
- You will receive an Auto-response confirming receipt of your query
- You'll get an additional response from me within two weeks either requesting or letting you know it's not for me
Other Query Information:
- You don't need to respond if I'm passing. I appreciate your thanks but I'm just doing my job
- If I request your manuscript, when you send it to me, you'll receive a "confirmation of receipt email" which will tell you how about how many days it might take me to read the ms. Hopefully you'll hear before then, but if those days pass and you haven't heard, please feel free to check in (email only).
- Don't send me a synopsis--they're totally evil.
- Please DO contact me if I'm considering your work and you have received an offer from another agent or editor.