Thursday, December 3, 2009

Beautiful Creatures

“Some loves are meant to be…others are cursed.

There were no surprises in Gatlin County. At least, that’s what I thought. Turns out, I couldn’t have been more wrong. There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave.”

I love big epic love stories, especially ones where the author(s) creates an intricate world with an elaborate history I can yearn to know more about. And that's exactly what Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl did with their debut novel Beautiful Creatures.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen,
and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

To me, what makes Beautiful Creatures stand out is the Southern Gothic elements in the story, the fact that the setting of Gatlin - the town, it's history and culture - plays such a huge role in the characters and their personalities and the actual plot of the story. Because of the incredible world building and the unique aspects of southern culture which are so important in Beautiful Creatures, each of the characters, even minor ones, quickly come alive and stand out against other characters within the paranormal YA genre.

And no punches are pulled. It was easy to get sucked into Ethan's voice and his world, and the suspense and the twists just keep coming for all 600 pages.

Make sure you check out Little Brown's Beautiful Creatures Website, which includes a map of Gatlin!

20 comments:

ParaJunkee said...

Can not wait to read this. - Parajunkee

Ash. Elizabeth said...

Another book I want to buy! Generally, that's a good thing but I bought five the other day when I have eleven left to read just sitting on the top of my bookshelf.

Cassandra said...

You are the best for loaning this to me. I started it on the ride home and I already love Ethan!

Kristin Miller said...

I'm putting this one on my Christmas list. Stars know I need yet another YA crush . . . :)

Lisa Dez said...

You sent it and I was determined to read it before it came out. It's sitting here...on my nightstand...in Portland...waiting for me to finish revisions...which, I fear, will never happen...

Christina Lee said...

I am smack dab in the middle of reading this on my kindle! Last night I read until my eyes blurred--LOL! I am enjoying it. :-)

Alexia561 said...

Enjoyed your review! I've heard nothing but good things about this book, and every review I read makes me want to read it even more! I'm banned from buying books until after Christmas, so hoping this one will be under the tree! *L*

Amanda Hannah said...

This was definitely one I found hard to put down.

Loretta Nyhan said...

Read this, loved it, can't wait for book 2...

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh, this has just been added to my Christmas wish list. Can't wait to read it!

Lisa Dez said...

I started it on the plane ride home last night. Loving it so far!

Chase92 said...

Great contest! Enter me please!

+2 Old follower

+1 Linked to sidebar
(the-bibliophiles-lounge.blogspot.com)

+2 You're in my blog roll

hanjie.1992 @ live.com.my

Thanks again!

Elie said...

+2 follower
+1 tweet http://twitter.com/EllzReadz/status/6483785181
+3 blog post http://ellzreadz.blogspot.com/2009/12/contest-discoveries.html

zenfoxflowerATyahooDOTcom
Elie (Ellz Readz)

suzie townsend said...

I'm not sure how this got confusing, but I'm actually not giving this book away

Natasha said...

CONTEST
I'm giving away a signed copy of The Dark Divine to one lucky commenter. All you have to do is comment below and include your email address so I know how to contact you. Enter by midnight on December 30th.

Now you aren't giving this book away? Confused here.

Natasha said...

ahh people are clicking on the wrong spot. I refreshed and found out its the wrong spot! LOL

pepsivanilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Milka said...

+2 follower

milkavainamo@lyseo.edu.ouka.fi

elaing8 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victoria Schwab said...

I'll throw my name in the hate! Oh, and I am following you (O_O)

Have your people call my people. Or, you know, drop me an email :p

-Victoria

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?