Thursday, October 22, 2009

Kim Harrison is Amazing!

Any urban fantasy and paranormal romance fans out there should definitely start reading Kim Harrison's series THE HOLLOWS featuring the toughest witch out there, Rachel Morgan. I've been following the series for a while, and just caught up by reading the most recent installment, book 7, White Witch, Black Curse. And it was fabulous.

Kim Harrison does an amazing job weaving together elements of several plotlines and balancing action, suspense, mystery, and character development. I did find myself frustrated a few times in the book because I was struggling to remember what had happened in past installments, but we finally got to find out who killed Kisten - something I had to know! (Although, I still find a piece of me hoping he'll come back to life somehow...I know it's not possible, but I miss him.)

The series does have to be read in order to get the most out of it, starting with Dead Witch Walking, and several of Harrison's short stories in anthologies also come into play in this book. (And yes, Harrison comes up with the best titles!).

11 comments:

E.J. Stevens said...

Great review. This is one of my favorite series and I too long for the return of Kisten.

Melanie's Randomness said...

Totally!! Kim Harrison is one of my favorite authors!! I'm a big fan of like Laurell K Hamilton, Charlaine Harris, Sherilyn Kenyon, Kelley Armstrong, so I love these Bad-Ass heroine novels. I havent read White Witch, Black Curse Yet but I will soon enough!

Amanda Hannah said...

I love this series! (and I want Kisten back, too :( )

Robolobolyn said...

Hi! I'm Robyn from Robolobolyn's Books, and I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award!
Here's the link:
http://robolobolynsbooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/honest-scrap-award.html

Robyn :)m

Ash. Elizabeth said...

Agreed. Whit witch, black curse is as awesome as the first six books, and I was glad she finds out who killed Kisten.

Mardel said...

Kim Harrison is definitely a great writer. I've enjoyed all of her Hollows books. Can't wait til the next one comes out.

Loretta Nyhan said...

Oh, cool! I'm reading this--ugh--Sookie Stackhouse rip-off right now. I think I'll ditch it for this!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

I'm definitely a Kim Harrison fangirl, she's amazing! Kisten is one of my all time favorite vamps, I miss him (I wish he could come back too). But also I can't wait to see where her new storyline takes us and if her 'ghost' (I don't to give away spoilers for those who haven't read WWBC yet) becomes her new love interest. Waiting impatiently for the next installment (transfusion) Black Magic Sanction.

Dottie :)

elnice said...

I love, love love KH. She is one of my favorite authors. Definitely on my autobuy list.

Patti said...

I almost didn't read this series. When I bought the first book, the clerk told me the first one isn't her best and not to give up. I'm so glad she told me that - I love this series! Can't wait for the next one.

I wish Kisten could come back too.

Ladybug said...

I've never heard of this series but it definitely sounds interesting =D

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?