Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday - The Dead Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

An intern in my office just finished reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth and we gushed about it Monday afternoon. My favorite thing about Carrie Ryan's debut? The fact that no character is safe, and the fact that there are thrills at every turn. So as a result, this Wednesday, I'm waiting for the companion novel,


And here's the cover copy for The Dead-Tossed Waves:

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She's content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse.

But there a
re threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry's mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry.

And suddenly, everything is changing.
One reckless moment, and half of Gabry's generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother's past in order to save herself and the one she loves.

Back in April, after The Forest of Hands and Teeth came out, Carrie Ryan released a cover picture of The Dead-Tossed Waves (cover art probably by the same artist).


Then, just a week ago, she announced that there will be new covers for The Forest of Hands and Teeth when it comes out in trade paperback and a new cover for The Dead-Tossed Waves.


Now for the real question - which cover do you like better? I actually really like them both - but I think they set a much different tone for the book. There's a wistfulness and a longing to cover one while cover two is definitely darker. I love the creepiness of cover two, but part of me is still partial to cover one since it matches the tone of my copy of Forest of Hands and Teeth.

10 comments:

brizmus said...

I can't decide which cover I like better - both are pretty cool, but they give VERY different feelings to the book.
I think I would expect lots of dialogue from the first cover and lots of introspection from the second. Hmmmm. . .

RKCharron said...

Thanks for the great post!
I love both covers.
But I'd buy THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES if it was just a blank cover.
I loved THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH. I hope the movie does it justice.
Thanks again for sharing,
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo

Rhiannon Hart said...

It seems like the wait for book 2 has been endless! I like the first cover, but it's a moot point for me as the UK/Australian cover is totally different anyway.

Anthony said...

Normally when a cover changes I like the revision.

This time, I do not.

The first cover is mysterious and very intriguing to me.

As a guy, when I look at the second cover, I think man, couldn't the show the entire (wet) model in her nighty on the cover?

Michelle said...

I like both covers for the second book, but I prefer the original cover for the first book. The heavy eyeliner and hairstyle on the girl in the new Forest cover looks too modern...I know Forest is set in the future, but it has an antiquated feel, which I think the first cover matched well.

Awesome book, can't wait to read the next one!

Melissa said...

Hate the second cover. HAAAATE. Hate hate hate. Did I mention I hated it? As in, I would not buy that book and have it on my shelf.

Judging just by the title and the second cover, I'd assume the book was about a serial killer in modern times who was raping and murdering girls and dumping them in the ocean. From what I know of the book, that's not the case.

Just my opinion though!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

My thoughts are same as yours! I like the new cover, but it won't match the first book on my shelf as perfectly. But they're both really, really nice! Can't wait to read this one!

Mechelle Fogelsong said...

I dream whatever I'm reading. It's both a blessing and a curse, but it makes me think twice about buying a book with cover #2.

I would easily buy cover #1, because it looks mysterious in an inviting way, whereas cover #2 makes me think I'll dream of running from creepy bad guys all night long.

Alyssa Kirk @ Teens Read and Write said...

I like the first cover but the second one, no. At first glance I thought it was a dead body!

Alexia561 said...

I prefer the first book cover. The second one looks much darker, and I agree with Alyssa that it looks like a dead body. First cover is classier!

Search This Blog

Loading...

Popular Posts

Five Random Things About Suzie

1. I drink so much orange soda, it's probably running through my veins. I've been known to go through a twelve pack of diet sunkist in a day.

2. I'm legitimately nocturnal (or a vampire). I will be so exhausted at two pm that I'm falling asleep standing up - it has happened before, at Six Flags no less - but as soon as the sun goes down I'm wide awake.

3. I have a gorgeous unused $6000 Reem Acra wedding dress hanging in my closet, and it showed up on my doorstep the same day my (now ex) fiance broke up with me. And thank God for that. I wouldn't have wanted to waste that dress on him.

4. Social anxiety plagues me daily. I write a script and practice in front of the mirror when I have to make a phone call, but most people who interact with me have no idea how nervous I am (or perhaps they lie) because I've worked so hard to try to overcome it.

5. I'm actually worried that I will never love my children (when I do have them in the far off future) as much as I love my dogs. I just like animals better than people - they're sweet and innocent and soft and furry - is that so wrong?